Sunday, February 7, 2010

"I love my love because I know: my love loves me"


In honor of Valentine's day rapidly approaching, I am posting a (non)love sonnet I wrote this past week. I haven't written very many sonnets before, but here it is. I tried the whole 14 lines, 10 syllables per line format.


Sand Sonnet: Love's Wisdom

Numberless grains from rocks of the ages,
Now assembled with earnest precision;
Carved are the pillars and dugged the moat,
Yet faulty are foundations.
For truth is construction thrice abused here,
As youth is weathered by time and by year:
A leveled plane and a plan dechambered,
And earth stretching on between seas and suns.

A tide approaches and all is remembered--
Hands plunged down, with shame, to hide.
Quickly thrust the beating life force inside.
And though sand moves in silently (the sound),
The earth lacks depth enough to bury me,
And--for my failed heart!--grains enough to drown.

No comments:

Post a Comment