Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Errors of "Hard Truth"


I didn't want to say anything, but since I couldn't stop thinking about it, I thought I would post here. Last night I watched U.S. figure skater Johnny Weir compete in the Olympic short program. Afterward, I went online to see one of my friends had written as his facebook status: "Why do we have a Russian, flaming homsexual representing the USA for ice skating?"

I find this statement problematic and I want to clear a few things up.

First of all, learn how to spell "homosexual." But more importantly, how is it appropriate to use derogatory language about an assumed sexual orientation, such as "flaming?" My friend is LDS--he knows what it is like to be discriminated for his religious beliefs (being called a cult or polygamist among many names); how is it that he expects respect for his (and my) religion while name-calling someone else in regards to sexual orientation? Weir has actually never stated what his sexuality is, saying in an interview, "There are some things I keep sacred."

Secondly: the issue of Weir's perceived Russian-ness. The fact that my friend has a problem with any nationality (despite clear possession of citizenship) representing the U.S. in the Olympics seems to suggest a false ideal of American-ness that Weir does not embody, as if there is a right or wrong way to be American.
Besides, Weir is not even Russian; he was born and grew up in Pennsylvania. He only speaks Russian to his Ukrainian coach, Galina Zmievskaya.

Thirdly: Discriminatory statements should not be broadcasted in a public domain such as facebook. I am not surprised that four comments among ten following this friend's status called him out for being offensive. But even more surprising was his response to them: "
tis a hard truth to be spoken, sorry you took offense." I find it difficult to defend a derogatory statement as "truth."

I hope that this friend will think twice about publicly touting his supposedly "hard truth."

3 comments:

  1. You are such a thoughtful and inspired writer. Your poem below is just beautiful!!!

    Sheesh. That's too bad about your friend's comment. It takes courage to stand up for what's right. Your friend is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post. I'm glad you finally have a blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just stumbled onto your blog and all i have to say to this post is a hearty "amen." i also feel that johnny should have received a better score for how beautifully he skated, but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete