Monday, November 1, 2010

The More Loving One



I discovered the following poem a year ago in my British Modernism class. I was so moved that I bought a book of poetry by the poet. The title popped into my head this afternoon, so I pulled it out again. Re-reading it brings back good memories. I know it might not apply to all situations, but I think Auden is generally right.

Enjoy.


The More Loving One

by W.H. Auden
Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total dark sublime,
Though this might take me a little time.

4 comments:

  1. What do you think Auden is right about, exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic. i love it when people post poetry on their blogs because reading poetry is not something i find time to do everyday - it gets lost in the bustle of the day - but it is so soothing and fantastic that i should do daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tristran Thorne and Yvaine would disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most likely. But Yvaine is far too self-interested for her opinion to count.

    ReplyDelete