Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A little birdhouse in your soul


Today, I was playing croquet in the yard by myself imagining I was playing with the Queen of Hearts when I noticed a garden box in the northwest corner of the lawn. I politely excused myself from my imaginary company so I could look a little closer. It turns out there is a garden box in my yard! But it is covered in dead, dry weeds. I started pulling at some of them to see how easy they would come up and then I realized how manageable this would be as a project.

Tomorrow after my "final" at Dr. Matthews house, I am coming home and pulling weeds. Then I will break up the soil so it is conducive to planting (I am avoiding the word "fertile" because I hate that word). Then I will plant things!

Here's where I need help: What do I plant? What can be planted in the last week of April? I have never gardened in Utah, so I don't really know what works best for this climate. Any suggestions? If possible, I would like to grow some Cafe Rio salads, or those delicious wheat rolls that Kyle's mom makes, or maybe some orange Creamsicles to eat just in time for summer.

As an afterthought, I wonder if any store sells seeds that would grow tarts? I know someone who would appreciate some replacements for her missing tarts.

1 comment:

  1. Haha that made me laugh :) I've grown tomatoes and stuff for salsa, but that's the extent of my gardening experience. I think zucchini grows well in Utah too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete