Thursday, April 8, 2010

Consumerist Burnout

I told my dad the other day that I wanted to move to a farm in a rural area. The purpose for this is so that I can grow my own food, be less addicted to technology, and reconnect with a slower (read as "natural") pace of life. He said that an agrarian society is unreasonable in this day and age.

The desire for farmland comes from my consumerism burnout. I am tired of consuming grocery store foods that have been sprayed with chemicals I know nothing about, turning to costly movies or restaurants for entertainment, and expecting constant/lightning feedback from too much use of computers. It's boring. And you want to know why? Because the pulses that drive these consumable items/activities are 1) efficiency and 2) cost-reducing. I guess I have reached the point where I no longer care if something is cost ineffective or inefficient if it means that I have no part in the creation of it.

In order to un-do the consumer in me, I asked myself this question:

What is the antithesis of consumerism?

Answer, according to me:

Creation.

Somehow, along the way to becoming the most suburban, hands-off girl you ever met, I lost sight of what it means to create a thing; I lost sense of the craft. I don't know where my clothes are made-- only that I buy them at the store. I don't know how circuits and electricity work enough beyond the fact that when I hit a switch, a light goes on. But I also know that I am not the only one to behave or think like this (food for thought, you reader).

So, in order to cure my consumerist ennui, I am putting forth a little effort to create a little more. I am:
*Cooking more from scratch instead of eating packaged foods. I made homemade rolls on Easter.
*Working on a painting (even though I have never painted before--you should have seen me at Michaels trying to figure out which paints to choose) to fill my leisure time.
*Going climbing every Friday to put more strength-type recreation into my schedule. I will climb a 5.10 yet!
*Reading a book on how to make candles. I went to a fair last summer and saw a family that dipped and carved beautiful candles.

This is a start. I may make a lot of weird-tasting home-foods before I get it right, or paint a lot of awful pictures before I like what I've done. But I don't really care about the consumable finish anymore. I just want to create something for a change.

5 comments:

  1. This is so, so great. Can we light the Writing Center with your candles please? And decorate the walls with your paintings (maybe that'll get Penny to put up the paintings she has already)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go rebecca! I totally relate--and I think I needed that reminder! Good luck with all your creations--and create some more great essays! I always loved reading what you wrote in Madden's class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea. i feel like i'm always whining about wanting to have a farm and commune with nature. so then i go hang out at the farmer's markets for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! really! a thing is so much more satisfying when you have to actually work with it in order to reap its benefits. i'm so glad you wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat insight Rebecca! I love the way you are constantly pushing yourself to think deeper! I think that's why your writing is always so inspiring! :) Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete