Sunday, March 7, 2010

Some Splendid Soft Peaches

"I had walked some twenty-five miles, and being very tired, not feeling like going any farther, I came to a peach tree by the wayside that was loaded with ripe fruit and picked some splendid soft peaches which were very delicious. I took as many as I wanted and turned aside in the piney woods where I had the earth for my bed and the heavens for my covering and God for my protection. I spent the night alone, yet I was not alone, for God was with me in answer to my prayers."

--John Brown

John Brown is my ancestor who was a Mormon pioneer. His personal journal was published and distributed to his family descendents a decade or so ago and I read it when I was 16. The guy was truly fascinating; he was a convert, a scholar, and a leader in the handcart treks. He was also a beautiful writer. The above passage is from his journal which was copied down into mine because I love it so much. Being kin somehow makes it more personal to me. It fortifies the personal belief that God really does hear and answer prayers, and that my family before me had a testimony of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment