Thursday, March 4, 2010

BYUSA Vs. The Daily U


What happens when one disliked campus organization goes after another?

It probably looks a lot like this, an article written by the top newswriters at the Daily Universe providing insight (read as "incriminating") the "service" organization, BYUSA: http://universe.byu.edu/node/6561

I am graduating in April, and after all my time here, I honestly can't say which organization I dislike more. It's a tough call. Let's go over the facts:

Ding! Ding!

Round 1

BYUSA is horribly unaccountable for their outstanding expenses. As the article points out, $260,000 goes toward this club(?) in just 4 months. If this is a so-called service organization, why are their perks perhaps equivalent to the pay most students get at their jobs? Jamba Juice runs, dinners at Tucanos, and donations to VH1 are just not acceptable for any "volunteers," no matter how fat and happy they need to look at Homecoming Spectacular.

As great as it is that the Daily U has decided to blow the whistle on this issue, I resent the fact that they seem to want everyone to know that it is them blowing it: "Look at us! We're doing REAL JOURNALISM." In the first paragraph, they reference an ongoing debate that they brought up themselves. It's not like this budgeting issue was a highly debated topic before the paper was even involved.

Round 2

Adam Ruri is totally off his rocker if he thinks that volunteering "deserves rewards." Ummmm... Why is it called volunteer work if the volunteers are SO deserving of our thanks and monies? That's just not the nature of service, if that is their goal. If that isn't enough, in his defense of his beloved organization, Ruri either pawns all blame off onto other people or is unapologetic about the extravagent expenses.

The Daily U--despite the occasional talented writer--is generally sloppy in their reporting, whether it is in gathering their facts or in effectively communicating them. In the case of this article, it is their obvious bias. I understand that one of the purposes of journalism is to act as a watchdog against such abuses as BYUSA's, but reporters also have an obligation to remain unbiased. I know it's hard to pretend to be unbiased, but they totally missed the "unbiased" mark on this.

Round 3

BYUSA needs to get its image right, and not just in regards to their spending. On one hand, they set themselves up as shining examples of leadership, and on the other, as the humblest of students asking for no thanks. But both of these mentalities contribute to their sense of elitism and grant them immunity to criticism. They are the "do no harm" organization. Ruri is wrong in saying that if anyone criticizes their organization, they must not be enlightened or service-oriented people; I get it. And I don't like it.

Does the Daily U really want to set themselves up as the antagonist of the BYUSA establishment? They DO know that nobody will be fired or anything, right?

Ding! Ding!

Unfortunately, this isn't just a boxing match that can announce a winner at the end because of the bureaucratic system both these organizations are up against. But the good news is that the current politics between these organizations will fizzle out (at least for this year), and hopefully sooner rather than later. In the meantime, the rest of us in the student body will watch on, roll our eyes, and hope someone will put up at a campaign booth to vote BYUSA out of existence.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    I read over your post and am really interested to hear your response. I think that you bring up some interesting thoughts. Granted, a blog is a blog, so please do not take my comment as a complaint (or anything like that). This is simply an opportunity for me to respond (feel free to delete it, if you like).

    Based on your blog post, it seems like you are a very reasonable person and I hope you can recognize that what is written in the newspaper, is often not the entire story. First, I really want to apologize for the way I was quoted. Certainly, I said what was printed, so if that offended you (or any other student), I am sorry. I had a 90 minute interview with the reporters and I did not think the quotes represented me or BYUSA in a very good light.

    Based on my quoted comments, I can see how easy it is to assume anything about my motives or that I was unapologetic. I admitted many times during the interview that I have made and will continue to make mistakes. During my year, I was advised, and subsequently approved by administrators, that (regarding the ‘quoted’ expenses) what we did was appropriate and customary for the year. I apologize that you felt it was different—please do not assume I was calling anyone unenlightened or not service-oriented, that assumption would be false. I have been extremely blessed by too many students (many of whom are ten times the person I am).

    Regarding the report they obtained, what they’ve said is a little misleading. Based on what I saw, the report included over $30,000 of income received—yet, this was not even mentioned. Does that make everything right? I guess that’s up to the university president, he is the one who approves BYUSA budget.

    Finally, I want you to know I am not the ‘crazed’ ‘off-my-rocker’ ‘elitist’ madman that was seemingly reported in the newspaper. I am a very imperfect, inadequate student who tried to do my best. I’m sorry that I fell short—I will be the first to admit that in any situation. I will be forever indebted to the university and I want you to know that I intend to give back more than I ever received.

    Feel free to call me if you (or anyone else) want to discuss this issue more. I would really prefer to speak about it, rather than converse through blogs or emails (the written word has failed me, as of late). Thanks for reading (sorry it was so long),

    Adam Ruri
    (707) 602-7874

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,

    I will not be stating my opinion on this issue or the article, except to say that we checked your claim that $30,000 of income was included in the sum total in that document and it is not true. It wasn't included in the $260,000 total.

    Thanks,

    McKay Coppins

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it looks like the hypothetical "boxing match" on your blog is turning into the real thing. my $30,000 is on the contender in the left hand corner...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks McKay. However, the point of my discussion of the $30,000 was that income was included on the expense report. That was never mentioned in the article (there was no allusion to the fact that *income* was received in your alleged 'private' university report).

    I fully accept (and apologize) that $30,000 may not have been included in the sum total of $260,000--but for the purposes of this blog comment--please do not mislead people into thinking I was incorrect in stating at least $30,000 of income was included in the alleged report you have. It clearly read, "2009 Ticket Income." How could that be mistaken or not included?

    For everyone else: I invite you to call me if you would like to discuss the matter. And, I apologize to Rebecca for having this become an issue on her blog.

    BYU is a great university and we all make mistakes. I hope that McKay and everyone else can accept my numerous apologies about the situation. If anyone has an additional suggestions of what more I can do, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, in an effort of full disclosure the Ticket Income was around $21,000 and another transfer income item was more than $10,000 (therefore totalling more than $30,000 of income).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can we please take this to the streets and not on rebecca's blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Done. Meet us out behind the stadium at 5pm...just kidding (I've never done that before).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the politics of BYU. The way I see it, there's not much any of us can do to change campus policies or organizations. My only complaint about BYUSA is that a few years ago they gave out tons of hot chocolate on campus early in the morning. But I haven't seen them giving out hot cocoa on campus at all this year! (That sounds like a joke, but I'm dead serious - Adam, if you read this, please take note. All I want is hot chocolate; I don't care about the rest.)

    ReplyDelete