Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rooting for the home team

A few days ago, a friend on facebook posted a status that asked,

"Why is it that we are so afraid of making mistakes?"

And for the first time ever, I had an optimistic answer to this question. Normally I chalk it up to the psychological nagging that we each have to be perfect or to fulfill self-made or societal expectations. But this time I thought,

"because we like ourselves. Deep down, we are rooting for the person we have known first and forever, and that we think is a pretty alright person. We are rooting for our success because we sympathize with ourselves."

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I got your facebook message through my email but Facebook is blocked at work so I couldn't write you back until I just realized I could leave you a blog comment :)

    I enjoyed my summer with IRD. They flew me out to San Francisco twice for orientation and training, which I loved. It was fun teaching all levels of reading development, from age 4 up to adults.

    The bad stuff? Lots of phone conference calls that (to me) were a waste of time, lots of driving to and from sites, lots of preparing, lots of lugging around suitcases and boxes of reading materials.

    But it was good money and if Russ and I weren't planning to spend the summer abroad (keeping my fingers crossed), I would do it again. I plan on doing it next summer.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i like that. your answer is the best one.

    ReplyDelete