Monday, January 3, 2011

Why, I Oughta...

I have been wanting that as a blog post title for a while now.

Now on to something relevant. A new semester is starting! I am taking British poetry, American lit, and helping to teach a transatlantic lit class as part of a mentorship. I have never been more excited for a semester! I feel like I got the dream schedule.

I am only a little sad to not have time to teach Writing 150 again this semester, mostly just because I miss the individual students I've already taught this year.

I miss the kid that would jokingly call me SISTER Peterson almost every class just because it annoyed me. He even wrote it in his comments on the student ratings.

I miss the girl that stayed after class to ask my opinion about study abroad programs.

I miss the guy who asked if he could wear a pirate costume to the early morning written final (Answer: Yes. As long as it's modest; we are at BYU for goodness Lady Gaga's sakes).

I miss the girl that asked if I canceled class (when I was sick) so that I could go to the new Harry Potter movie. Then she asked if I canceled class because I didn't want students to have to choose between school and their social lives.

I miss the guy who wrote brilliant essays with the world's wurste speling and punctushun.;':!/". (In my behalf, I am a first-year writing teacher, not a miracle worker).

But hopefully I will get to teach/mentor some new, just-as-amusing students this coming semester in the transatlantic lit class. If they are not as cool, why, I oughta go back to teaching Writing 150.

See what I did right there? C'mon, I had to try to work it in somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, what about the creative writing course? Don't the votes of your facebook friends carry any weight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do! And I am still planning on taking it! But I am waiting until next year because it makes more sense financially to do it a later semester.

    ReplyDelete