Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Why Half Birthdays Are Halfway Worth Thinking About

It was my half birthday yesterday. I am 23.5-years-old plus one day. I have breathed approximately 147,742,620 times and blinked an estimated 188,000,000 times in my life.

How come we don't celebrate half birthdays? For my half birthday, I ate half a sandwich at Jason's Deli (tuna melt), watched half of the teeny-bopper film Nancy Drew which stars Julia Roberts' half-size niece, half-watered my garden since it snowed the day before, and was a half minute late to a job interview I was only half interested in. I didn't even realize it was my half birthday until it was half over. Man I'm good.

I wonder what it would be like if we measured ourselves by half-years instead of full years. I would be 47-half-years-old instead of 23-years-old, which would make me feel much more legitimate because bigger numbers seem more powerful; they are the sages of the numeric world, the digits that don't leave the house very often anymore and ask you to dial a phone number for them because they can't see those small, less powerful numbers on the phone.

With half years instead of full years, our calendars would be shorter, which would be great because it means I get to buy TWO calendars in 12 months and wouldn't have to decide between an impressionist art calendar and an Office calendar. I GET BOTH.

I once threw a surprise half-birthday party for my friend Chelsea. Her birthday is in the summer when all the roommates were leaving, so we did a surprise party on February 25th. We frosted half of the cupcakes and decorated half of the party room and invited only half of her friends (just kidding, they were all there). I bet she had only half as much fun than she would have on her real birthday, and I am half sorry for that.

I was at the half-year mark yesterday, but today I am already on my way to a full year. In contrast to yesterday, today I made and ate a full sandwich for lunch (chicken, swiss, and tomato melt), finished the Nancy Drew movie, watered my garden completely, and accepted a full-time job. Maybe half-years are lucky: whatever you start on the half-year mark is sure to be finished on its way to the full year.

That's worth at least half of a thought, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. A. I loved that half birthday! You guys pulled off a great surprise (its hard to remember a half birthday).
    B. Jason's Deli rocks
    C. If my dad were to talk to you, he would remind you that you are in your 24th year. So I think that is a great way to look at it. I'm slightly looking forward to getting out of the terrible stereotype of the "early twenties"-- you are well on your way! Congrats :)

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete